Home»News»Father Francis H. Niehaus

Father Francis H. Niehaus

0
Shares
Pinterest Google+
Father Francis Niehaus

Reverend Francis “Frank” H. Niehaus passed away on Thursday, September 26, 2013.

He was born on July 30, 1929 in Cincinnati. He did his preparatory studies at St. Gregory Seminary and studied theology at Mount St. Mary’s Seminary of the West in Norwood. He was ordained on May 28, 1955 at St. Monica Cathedral in Cincinnati, Ohio by Archbishop Karl J. Alter.

Father Niehaus received his first assignment on June 16, 1955 as an Assistant at St. Aloysius on-the-Ohio Parish, Sayler Park (Cincinnati) and also to the faculty of Elder High School, Cincinnati where he taught until 1963. In June 1959, he was appointed Assistant at St. Louis Church, Cincinnati and also Assistant Treasurer and Assistant Chancellor for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. In June 1961, Father Niehaus was appointed Director of the Catholic Mausoleum at St. Joseph (Old) Cemetery, Cincinnati and also appointed to assist Monsignor Edward Quinn in supervising the cemeteries in the Archdiocese. In January 1962, he was appointed Assistant at St. William Parish in Cincinnati. In 1966, Father Niehaus was appointed Supervisor of Cemeteries for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati where he served until July 1982.

In 1966, he was appointed Administrator of St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Cincinnati where he served until 1970. Father Niehaus served as Pastor of the following parishes: St. Aloysius, Elmwood Place (1970-1972); Good Shepherd, Cincinnati (1973-1979), where he was the founding pastor; St. Veronica, Mt. Carmel (1980-1982); and St. Elizabeth, Norwood (1982-1994). During his years of ministry he served as Chaplain of Mother of Mercy Convent; the Cincinnati Workhouse, Camp Washington; the Catholic Pharmacists Guild, St. James Council; Archbishop Purcell Council No. 2798 Knights of Columbus; and also Area Scout Chaplain for Hamilton County.      Father Niehaus was also appointed to serve as Administrator and Chaplain of St. Joseph Orphanage in Cincinnati; part-time teacher at Mother of Mercy High School, Cincinnati; Director of Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Montgomery, (Cincinnati); and Consultant for Parish Development. Father Niehaus retired from active ministry in July 1, 1994.

Reception of the Body was Sept. 28, 2013 at 9a.m. at Good Shepherd Church, 8815 E. Kemper Road, Cincinnati. Celebrant and Homilist: Reverend Robert Schmitz. Visitation was held until time of Mass of Christian Burial.

Mass of Christian Burial followed at 12:30 p.m. at Good Shepherd Church. Celebrant and Homilist: Most Reverend Joseph R. Binzer.

Burial was immediately following the Mass of Christian Burial in Gate of Heaven Cemetery, 11000 Montgomery Road, Cincinnati. Celebrant was Reverend Timothy Bunch.

Previous post

New Project Rachel outreach aims to help others hurt by abortion

Next post

Pope calls for less ‘Vatican-centric,’ more socially conscious church