Father Francis J. Miller
Wednesday, October 20, 2010
A Mass of Christian Burial for Father Francis J. Miller was celebrated Oct. 18 at St. Cecilia Church in Oakley. Retired Archbishop of Cincinnati Daniel E. Pilarczyk presided. Father Miller, 86, died Oct. 13.
A Cincinnati native, Father Miller did his preparatory studies at St. Gregory Seminary and Mount St. Mary’s Seminary of the West. He received his licentiate in sacred theology from the Angelicum in Rome in 1951 and a doctorate in education from the University of Cincinnati in 1964. He also received a master’s degree in counseling from Xavier University. He was ordained on Sept. 18, 1950, at the former Sts. Peter & Paul Church in Norwood by then-Bishop George J. Rehring.
Father Miller served as an assistant pastor at St. Mary Parish, Hyde Park (1951-1956); St. Lawrence Parish, Cincinnati (1956-1959); the former Sacred Heart Parish, Dayton (1964-1965); St. Peter in Chains Parish, Hamilton (1965); and administrator and pastor at the former St. Mary Parish, Hamilton (1965-1982). He also served as a pastoral counselor for Catholic Social Services of Southwestern Ohio (1982-1986), while residing at Assumption Parish in Walnut Hills (1983-1985) and Sts. Peter & Paul Parish, Norwood (1985-1986). He went on to serve as pastor at Our Lady of Lourdes Parish, Cincinnati (1986-1992).
In addition, Father Miller was on the faculty of Seton High School, Cincinnati (1956-1959); Mount St. Mary’s Seminary (1959-1964); and Carroll High School, Dayton (1964-1965). He was also instrumental in the planning stages and the building of Stephen T. Badin High School in Hamilton, where he was the founding principal and served from 1965-1975. Father Miller retired from active ministry in August 1992, while continuing to assist at various area parishes.
Father Miller is survived by his sister, Ethel Zwik. Interment was in Gate of Heaven Cemetery.