Holy Cross Church in Dayton the only Lithuanian parish in southern Ohio. It was redesigned in the 1960s by Lithuanian Chicago architect John Mulokas to honor churches throughout Lithuania that were closed by the Communist government. It features stylized versions of folk art, most of them – including the stained
1910 Parish established. 1910 Original church building constructed. (It was demolished in the summer of 2021). 1914 School opened for grades 1-4; followed by grades, 5-6 the following year and grades 7-8 in 1918. 1930 Church building completed. 1954 Mural in apse painted. 1955 Wooden baldacchino installed over altar. Sisters
St. Antoninus in Green Township has a relic chapel also used for Eucharistic Adoration. About 100 relics are displayed on shelves, as well as a painting of the infant Christ and the Virgin Mary. Included among the relics is an amice that was once part of the vestments on the
by Gail Finke What is a shrine? Associated with popular piety since the earliest days of the Church, shrines are places of pilgrimage and prayer. Pope St. John Paul II once said, “Christian shrines have always been, and continue to be, signs of God, and of His intervention in history.
Written by Gail Finke Illustrated by Emma Cassani The Church of the Resurrection was formed in 2010 from four Cincinnati parishes, originally established by immigrants? Parishioners chose the name to indicate that the four parishes were not closed, but reborn. Keep the Dream Alive Annual award ceremony that originated at
145 feet to the tip of the spire 1 vaulted, hand-stenciled wood ceiling 42 all-volunteer choir members 4 CDs of choir music available 10 clerestory windows originally plain glass. Patterned glass made in America added in the 1960s. 2 major stained-glass windows made in Germany More than 12 smaller windows
During the 1849 cholera epidemic that killed thousands in Cincinnati alone, parishioners of what is now Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Cassella gathered in their log church and prayed to St. Sebastian for relief – and no one from the parish died. Maria-Kapelle (Maria Chapel) is the name