Throwback Thursday: Seven men ordained in 2009
This Saturday, seven men will become priests of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati. The last time a local ordination class was this large was 2009, when another seven were ordained.
For Today’s Throwback Thursday, we take a look back at the ordination Class of 2009.
The 2016 ordination will take place Saturday, May 21 at the Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains at 11 a.m.
In the May 29, 2009 edition of The Catholic Telegraph, News Editor and Ursuline Sister Eileen Conelly wrote: “The blessings of a sunny spring day set the scene May 23 when seven men were ordained priests for the Archdiocese of Cincinati by Archbishop Daniel E. Pilarczyk at the Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains.”
The men ordained that day were Father Martin Bachman, Father David Endres, Father Robert Hadden, Father Shawn Landenwitch, Father Matthew Lee, Father Barry Stechschulte and Father Anthony Tozzi.
The images in this post are from the May 29, 2009 edition of The Catholic Telegraph.
2009 Ordination Facts
- 2009 marked the final ordination class presided over by Archbishop Daniel E. Pilarczyk, who retired later that year.
- While Archbishop Pilarczyk was the ordaining bishop, the 2009 ordination marked the first time Archbishop Dennis M. Schnurr, then coadjutor Archbishop, was present for a local ordination Mass. He has presided over each ordination since.
- Father Shawn Landenwitch, now parochial vicar at St. Patrick’s in Bellefontaine, was 26 at the time of his ordination. In the six years since, no one younger than 28 has been ordained for this archdiocese.
- Father David Endres, now the dean of Mount St. Mary’s Seminary, was part of the 2009 class.
- Three of the seven priests ordained in 2009 are pastors.
Where are they now?
Father Martin Bachman is pastor at St. Ann (Williamsburg), Holy Trinity (Batavia), St. Louis (Owensville) and St. Philomena (Owensville).
Father David Endres is Dean of Mount St. Mary’s Seminary of the West at the Athenaeum of Ohio in Mount Washington.
Father Robert Hadden is pastor at Holy Redeemer in New Bremen.
Father Shawn Landenwitch is parochial vicar at St. Patrick in Bellefontaine.
Father Matthew Lee is parochial administrator at St. Mary of the Woods in Russells Point and parochial vicar St. Mary (Urbana), Sacred Heart (St. Paris), St. Michael (Mechanicsburg) and Immaculate Conception (North Lewisburg).
Father Barry Stechschulte is pastor of Holy Rosary in St. Marys and St. Patrick in Glynwood.
Father Anthony Tozzi is is parochial vicar of St. James the Greater in White Oak.
Welcome to The Catholic Telegraph’s edition of Throwback Thursday. Throwback Thursday is a weekly online feature wherein users of social media share an old photo or anecdote about times gone by. We use Throwback Thursday to highlight the history of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, and our publication.