Job Opening: Director of Communications
St. Francis Xavier Church is looking for a passionate, Catholic communications professional to serve as the new Marketing & Communications Director and work closely with the pastor, office manager, parish staff, and volunteers to create digital and print communications that keep our parish community connected and thriving.
I. IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
Position Title: Director of Communications Status: Full-time, Non-exempt, 12 months
Reports to: Pastor
II. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Work with the Pastor to build communications plans for St. Xavier Church, giving input on what to communicate, what new or existing channels to prioritize, and bring new ideas and constructive criticism to the table.
o Develop and manage content on social media, website, weekly newsletter, and bulletins to ensure an accurate, creative, and consistent tone, look, and delivery.
o Coordinate with the office manager, parish staff, and ministries to engage various church groups and publicize events.
• Design for print and digital communications including bulletins, programs, website, email, social media, video, and other documents as needed.
o Update and oversee the parish website, create compelling up-to-date content, maintain its photo gallery, upload media, create online forms, and ensure the integrity of links.
o Regularly manage and maintain consistent and engaging social media presence, including Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube.
o Design and send out our weekly letter to parishioners with relevant news, future parish events, and faith formation opportunities.
• Build good public relations through use of media.
o Work collaboratively with the staff, parish council, and parish ministries to provide support for parish stewardship efforts.
o Proactively work to maintain an effective presence on the web including accurate up-to-date content on search engines.
o Coordinate public relations with organizations outside of St. X Church.
• Oversee the production of live-stream Masses by using available video equipment to its greatest effect.
o Oversee the production of all live-stream Masses and occasional speakers to ensure a high-quality viewing experience and publish events to the St. Xavier YouTube channel.
o Produce video content that promotes internal parish engagement as
well as engagement from the wider community.
o Coordinate and train volunteers to assist with live-streaming and be available to step in yourself as needed, including on weekends.
III. JOB QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent focused industry experience in visual/media communications.
• Strong written and verbal skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with a wide range of people of different ages, backgrounds, and cultures.
• Strong graphic design and creative skills
• Highly organized and driven, with ability to manage multiple projects and details without supervision
• Ability to identify and quickly become proficient with tools that best connect us with our parish communities, as well as legacy tools. These include:
o Photo / video equipment
o Video editing software
o CMS platforms
o Email marketing tools
o Document publishing software
o Social media
• Drive to explore and apply new/improved ways of marketing and communications
IV. HOURS AND COMPENSATION
• Competitive salary
• Excellent benefits including health insurance and employer funded 401K
• You may be asked to work on weekends or evenings to assist with the live streaming of Masses.
V. WORKING ENVIRONMENT
• Downtown office environment (parish has no school).
• Operating hours are normally Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Employees of St Xavier Church will have knowledge of the Catholic faith, a willingness to work for a Catholic, faith-based agency and adhere to the policies of St Xavier Church. Employees will not publicly oppose the teachings of the Catholic faith nor publicly advocate for any position in conflict with Catholic teaching, or the specific positions of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati or the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This requirement includes any public speech, demonstration or writing, including the use of social media or other digital technologies.