Lumen Fidei award for Catholic school teachers.
Greetings from the University of Dayton! We hope this finds you all doing well and preparing for an amazing school year and the excitement of the fall which will soon be upon us.
The University of Dayton’s Center for Catholic Education, housed in the School of Education and Health Sciences is proud to announce the inaugural Lumen Fidei (Light of Faith) Award recognizing an outstanding Catholic school teacher across the state of Ohio. We well-know the vital importance that Catholic teachers serve in our statewide mission and want to thank them for their unwavering devotion to continued access to high quality Catholic education across our state.
The award is for any full-time licensed teacher who has served a minimum of 5 years in an Ohio Catholic school. Lumen Fidei Award criteria include:
- excellence in teaching
- creating a classroom environment where Catholic Social Teaching is practiced and lived especially in regard to equity and inclusion
- demonstrating innovative teaching practices
- integrating Catholic teaching and practices into their lessons
- discipleship model inside and outside the classroom
- creating a positive and respectful learning environment
- showing enthusiasm for their subject matter
- using a variety of teaching strategies to address a variety of learners
- engaging the students in critical thinking
- inspiring students to learn more
- contributing to co-curricular and community activities
If you wish to nominate an Ohio Catholic school teacher, please complete the nomination form by November 1:
We know what a difficult time it can be for Catholic school teachers in today’s environment and we believe that a state-wide recognition of outstanding Catholic education would both encourage and inspire. Lumen Fidei includes a $1,000 award for the outstanding teacher and we plan an opportunity to celebrate their accomplishments as well as hear some words of inspiration from them at a reception held at UD in the spring.
Appreciation to the committee members who have helped to bring this award to fruition including Chair, Norm Rich (Alter High School), Father Adam Hertzfeld (Diocese of Toledo), Dan Stringer (Archdiocese of Cincinnati), Corinne Brion, Peg Brun, Angie Mahoney, Rhonda Mercs & Sister Angela Ann Zukowski all representing the University of Dayton.