Xavier University is planning for a return to campus for the Fall 2020 semester
ADJUSTED FALL SEMESTER SCHEDULE FOR XAVIER UNIVERSITY
As we continue to follow the CDC and Federal, and State guidelines, we are planning to welcome students back to campus and to teach in-person in August.
In response to the best available information, we will be shifting our semester forward to begin classes on August 17, instead of the previously scheduled start date of August 24. Move-in and orientation for all new students will be held the week of August 10. Additional details will be available in the coming weeks.
Additionally, Xavier will be adjusting the semester schedule by implementing the following changes:
- Classes will be held on Labor Day, Monday, September 7.
- Fall Break will not be held. Instead, class will meet on October 8 and 9.
- The final day of classes will take place Tuesday, November 24.
- Residence halls will close for the semester at 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 25.
- Following the Thanksgiving break, Xavier will hold Finals in a remote format from November 30 to December 4.
- Xavier has added in two days off for our students and one remote learning day:
- No classes on Tuesday, September 15 as we host our annual Spirit Celebration.
- No classes on Wednesday, October 21 for a mid-semester break. (Once a week classes will meet.)
- Classes will meet on Tuesday, November 3 in a remote format on Election Day.
These changes are important to first reduce the chance of students, faculty and staff traveling during the holiday breaks to lead to Covid-19 hotspots and second to best utilize the available time on campus.
While the exact future is unpredictable, these changes will allow us to maintain the academic integrity of the fall semester while also providing the flexibility that our students need to be successful. The health and academic experience of our students remains our top priority as does the health of our faculty and staff.
The Commencement Committee is now holding Saturday, August 8 with the hope of hosting a rescheduled Commencement ceremony in Cintas Center. The undergraduate ceremony will tentatively begin at 9:00 a.m. and the graduate ceremony will tentatively begin at 3:00 p.m. A final decision to hold the Commencement ceremony on campus will be made no later than July 1 based on federal, state and local guidance for hosting large events. The health, well-being and safety of our graduates and their guests is our first priority. The Commencement Committee is currently exploring other events to be hosted around the August 8 date including social events, honors awards, Baccalaureate Mass and more. Additional details about all Commencement programming will be shared in the weeks ahead.
For more on Xavier University, click here