Father Charles Rohrkemper
A Mass of Christian Burial for Father Charles B. Rohrkemper was celebrated June 8 at St. Patrick Parish in Troy. Archbishop Dennis M. Schnurr presided. Father Rohrkemper, 95, died May 31, at the St. Charles Center in Carthagena.
Born in Dayton, Ohio, a graduate of Chaminade High School, Father Charles completed seminary studies at St. Gregory and Mount St. Mary, and was ordained for the Archdiocese of Cincinnati by Archbishop John T. McNicholas in 1943.
Following ordination, Father Rohrkemper was named assistant at St. William Parish, Cincinnati, with teaching duties at Elder High School. In 1948 he was assigned to the former St. Augustine Parish on Bank Street, Cincinnati, while continuing to teach at Elder. A 1951 transfer to St. Vivian’s Parish, Cincinnati, as assistant pastor and faculty member at Julienne High School. In 1956 he was named chaplain to the Sisters of Notre Dame de Narmur at Villa Julienne, Dayton, and continued teaching at the high school.
In 1961, Father Rohrkemper received his first pastorate, St. John Fisher, in Newtown, Cincinnati, with mission at St. Ann, Williamsburg, Ohio. Four years later he was appointed pastor of St. Francis de Sales, Lebanon. In 1968, he received the call to be pastor of St. Boniface, Piqua. There he remained until 1976, when he was asked to assume the pastorate of St. Mary Parish, Greenville. Two years later, in 1978, Father Rohrkemper was called to be pastor at Sacred Heart Parish, McCartyville. where he served until his retirement in 1987.
Active in retirement, Father Charles continued to serve the archdiocese, offering Mass and administering the sacraments on a regular basis at St. Patrick Parish and in other parishes where his services were welcomed.
He regularly offered Mass at several local nursing homes. At Lehman High School he also occasionally presided at Masses for the students.
Interment was in Calvary Cemetery in Dayton.