Father Joseph Lutmer
A Mass of Christian burial for Father Joseph H. Lutmer, a retired pastor of the archdiocese, was celebrated May 20 at St. Monica-St. George Church in Clifton. Archbishop Dennis M. Schnurr presided. Father Lutmer, 94, died May 15 at St. Margaret Hall.
Father Lutmer was born Feb. 2, 1920 in Cincinnati. He did his preparatory studies at St. Gregory Seminary and studied theology at Mount St. Mary’s Seminary of the West in Norwood. He was ordained on Oct. 26, 1946 by Bishop George J. Rehring at Sts. Peter and Paul Church, Norwood.
Father Lutmer received his first assignment on Nov. 12, 1946, as assistant pastor at St. Lawrence Parish, Price Hill. In August 1951, he was appointed assistant at Holy Trinity Parish, Middletown, and in September 1951, also as assistant at Emmanuel Parish in Dayton. In 1956, he was appointed assistant at St. Veronica Parish in Hamilton.
In 1969, Father Lutmer was appointed pastor of St. Augustine Parish in Waynesville and also administrator of St. Augustine Parish in Jamestown. He was appointed pastor of St. Monica Parish, Cincinnati in 1979, where he served until his retirement in 1993. During his years of ministry, Father Lutmer taught at Hamilton Catholic High School, Hamilton, and served as chaplain of: the Dominicanettes of Dayton, the County Home and Hospital in at Dayton, Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton, and Good Samaritan Hospital in Dayton. He also served as dean of the Cathedral Deanery.
Father Lutmer is survived by his brother, Robert. Interment was in Calvary Cemetery in Cincinnati.